Associated Press recently requested the changes Barbra Streisand and James Brolin have initiated to conserve water at their home. Here are the five specifics they provided:
1. We’re working with a company that specializes in water reuse technology, to devise the best program for water conservation.
2. We have turned off the water for more than 70% of our lawns, allowing them to turn completely brown.
3. We’re investigating blackwater and greywater systems (advanced wastewater treatments), that will enable us to reuse all the water from our house via subsurface drip irrigation.
4. We’re looking into installing rainwater cisterns for the collection and harvesting of rainwater, should California be lucky enough to get some rain.
5. We’re also using backwash water to irrigate our plants, and even utilizing fish waste to augment our compost.